Thursday, October 12, 2006

Today in Ohio...

Today in Ohio:

- It snowed
- Detroit Tigers continue to have a chance to make it to the World Series
- The firstborn got a new (to him) car for free
- I got a new job
_______________________________________________________________


On the snow front, it was cold and cloudy when I got up this morning, and as I was waking up to take the young one to work, I became aware that the talking morning news heads were talking about accidents on the expressways in Detroit. As the day progressed, the temperatures remained low and by afternoon dark winter like clouds rolled over and there was a brief but very determined spurt of snow. Thankfully it did not stick to the ground, but it was a precursor of things to come.

In the sports front, the Detroit Tigers continue to play well enough that people around here are excited about the possibility that they will make it to the World Series and the fair weather Tigers fans are coming out of the woodwork. Will have to keep watching the progress; I would be a liar if I said that I would not be happy to see them be successful.


On the car front, this was probably the most amusing part of the day. The firstborn got a call from a prof he had at Owens who he became friends with. He had a car that one of his friends has left at his place of business that he finally had convinced him to get rid of, and thought of the firstborn right away. We went together to the prof's place this morning to take a look at the car. It was a sharp looking little red '95 Saturn 5-speed, still not looking too shabby even though it had some "bonus berries" on the rear deck. When the prof came out with the keys and the firstborn got to take a peek under the hood (the description of why it was not being driven anymore was that "it stopped running") the firstborn immediately saw what the issue was; the photo shows what we observed. His intention is to claim the "free car", then find an engine swap(needless to say!) Once done it will be a sweet little car, and the firstborn will actually be only its second owner. It will also be our newest ever in the fleet, which will be kinda cool. Unfortunately that, of course, makes one of the other vehicles be placed on the liquidation schedule....probably be the van (it is defn the least photogenic).

On the job front, it is with great excitement that I tell you that I got a call today from my constant companion through the interview process for my new position, and am pleased to announce that the offer for employment is official. The start date is October 31, so I will be using the next several weeks to prepare for all the things that I have less that in depth experience with, so I can "hit the ground running" so to speak. I am extremely excited and anxious about this new opportunity, but in a GOOD way...it will be a great learning and growing experience, and I look forward to being a contributing member of their IT staff.

That's pretty much it for now....hope you are all well....thinking of you with love, as always....

v