Wednesday, November 29, 2006

"On the internet...

...nobody knows you're a dog."

Peter Steiner - On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.



Peter Steiner - page 61 of July 5, 1993 issue of The New Yorker, (Vol.69 (LXIX) no. 20)
____________________________________________

An oldie but a goodie, I have to say, and so true! Consider THAT the next time you start up a conversation with a new IM name in your buddy list....

Still thinking about the whole MySpace, FaceBook, "social networking" mumbo-jumbo; it never ceases to amaze me that every now and then, even with the minimal exposure I intentionally have on the internet, from time to time I catch wind of a little weird stuff going on...there are a few folks in the network where I got my feet wet in blogging that are notoriously engaged in some pretty hostile site visits, intentionally done to be provocative and attract attention, even though this person says they don't care what anyone thinks of them or their site. There are a few other sites that were contrived from the beginning by their builders as their attempts to garner that empty honor of "best" in the blogger land that they are in....if you entered into blogging to get an award for it, I think you need to get another passtime, something really rewarding like, baseball player or contestant on American Idol or something.

I was told a long time ago that blogging, whether your own or when you visit someone else's, should ultimately be a process of creating something for YOU...something that makes you proud, happy and represents you the way you want to be seen. If you continually distort your content to please everyone else, you ultimately please noone; you are unhappy with your product, and eventually the people you were trying to please will go away, just like they happened to arrive, disappearing back into cyberspace.

I has been my distinct pleasure to find out that my fellow team members on this blog, who I originally met through contact about, OF ALL THINGS, a blog...are not dogs, and are indeed really cool human beings....this experience is not the norm, however...I hear that there are a lot more dogs out there lurking around than there used to be...check out this site - dogster.com and you will see what I mean (there is one for cats too - catster.com)....

That's it for now....till next time, much love to you....

v

PS - Click here to visit my cat, Woz