Friday, April 06, 2007

Learning is good.....

With all the activity in our office, I have been challenged to take on some different tasks that I have little experience with….hopping back into the mode that I am most comfortable with, I have begun again to “self-teach”, learning how to resolve many problems that are assigned to me using my honed “research-review-experiment-implement” strategy. The rub is that this strategy sometimes takes a little time if I have been totally unexposed to the issue before, so it has been a blessing that the things that needed research for this week have been some that were not mission critical; they were more high inconvenience and idiosyncrasies of software and hardware…things I need to know for future reference and to expedite resolution of future problems.

Since I am researching a great deal again, I have had to sort and store much “stuff” that has come to live on my computer…the things that build up on the desktop and other stuff that gets found and saved on the way to other things…there is no excuse for the contents of a person’s desktop folder to be 10GB, but mine was, and my poor machine was running much the worse for it. This weekend will have to be dedicated to the business of further maintenance….a good technical person practices what they preach, after all….this machine is a good one and has served me very well up to this point…I know that once cleaned up, I will be in love with it again, as I was when I first got it, and it will continue to be the workhorse that I have come to rely on.

Today is a quiet one in the office and folks are working in solitary mode for the most part….taking time to catch up a little bit…maximizing their efforts while interruptions are lessened. As the day passes, the tone becomes more light and jovial…soon it will be time to depart for the weekend to be spent with family and friends….not to forget the real reason for the acknowledgement of the days before this day and the important days after.

Blessed Easter to you and yours…happy spring as well…crocuses, forsythias, and daffodils to colour your new season….much love to you, till we connect again….

v