Monday, December 24, 2007

Having the liberty of free expression....

is not a license to cause suffering, to be cruel or perpetuate hate.

I am not sure what it is that I want to say on this topic, but this is something that has been nagging at me in recent days. I am hard pressed...trying to figure out WHEN it became no longer necessary in our society to practice basic manners and observed a minimal amount of courtesy in our day to day dealings with others. Why has it become acceptable to treat our interactions with others as an inconvenience rather than an opportunity....what has deteriorated so significantly to make it an exception rather than the rule to encounter a person who treats others with decency, dignity and respect.

I vaguely recall a similar discussion with my mother some thirty years ago...something about "you young kids" and "respecting authority"....it is no longer an issue of respecting authority....it is simply the inability in this supposedly civil society to respect EACH OTHER...it makes me sad...and to have this most holy of times be the reason that I am so pessimistic makes me sadder still...

"Having" is not nearly as important as what you do with what you have....loving is of much more impact than being loved...doing makes more impact than "planning to do"...and being genuine in all you do is the biggest compliment you can pay everyone you come in contact with...

If I could wish anything for all this holiday...it would be... to CARE...about yourself, your loved ones and friends...and the people that you see every day that you don't even know....it's a start...and a good one....and isn't it true to the spirit of the season?

That's all the ramble for now...till later....much love to you...as always,

v